Hello, readers! I hope this post finds you well.
I’m happy to share my take on McCall’s 6503, a dress with a retro vibe and mix-and-match variations.
I overlooked this pattern when it came out as the cover photo didn’t appeal to me. However, I was perusing the McCall’s website one day looking at line drawings and searching for a particular pattern when I came across this dress. I was drawn to view A with the lapel collar and quickly made it up in purple/pink cotton seersucker for a summer dress. As soon as I made my first version, I new I wanted to make another and thought the ruffles on view C would work well with a green rayon twill I had in my fabric stash.
Pattern Name: McCall’s 6503
Size Range: 6-22
What size did you make? Graded up to about a 26/28.
What are your…..
- Measurements: 48-41-52
- Body Shape: Pear-ish/Spoon
- Height: 5’8
- Bra size: 44D
What adjustments did you make and how long did they take? Aside from grading up this pattern, I did a swayback adjustment on both dresses. I added length to the skirt on the green version and made the midriff a little larger for more ease. I omitted the frills around the lapel on the seersucker version and added a button to the lapel on the bodice to keep it closed. I adjusted the button closure on the green dress, with the top button a little higher on the v-neck than the pattern suggests.
What was the construction process like? Did the instructions make sense to you? The seersucker version was quick and easy to make. The green version took a little longer with the ruffles and the making certain that the collar fit right. The instructions are clear for the most part and I followed them, although I finished the ruffles on the green dress with a narrow hem rather than the technique in the instructions.
For my seersucker version I finished the seams with my serger and did very little hand sewing. For my green version, I used French seams and hand sewed the armhole facings, collar and hem. The green dress took me longer to make, but worked better with the fabric.
How did you like the pattern’s fit? Do you think that the design works well for your body shape? I prefer the fit on the green version than the seersucker version as it’s a little looser and more comfortable. Admittedly, the seersucker version does fit better as the midriff is meant to be fitted more, but the green dress is easier to wear. This is a fit and flare design which I love to wear. The gathers on the skirt aren’t too full, which probably flatters my silhouette. The bodice has gathers for shape, which is easy to adjust.
Will you make this pattern again? If so, what fit or design changes will you make? I’m not sure if I’ll make this pattern again. I already have two, but if I did make another, it would probably be one with sleeves.
Do you have any advice on this pattern for other curvy sewers? Are there any resources or materials that helped you sew this piece up? I used a lightweight rayon twill for the green version with lightweight interfacing. I should have used heavier interfacing to hold the shape of the midriff and collar. I’d suggest to make sure that you use the right interfacing for your fabric, especially if you want it less fitted around the waist like my green version. I used this method to grade this pattern up.
Pattern Rating (1-5):
- Size range: 3
- Instructions: 4
- Construction process: 4
- Final fit: 4
- Overall rating: 3.75
Overall, I love both of my dresses. I wore the seersucker version quite a bit over the summer and look forward to wearing the green version with a navy blazer I plan to make in the future. This pattern would make a great 1940’s dress in view B.