Now that you have your swimsuit pattern picked out, you’re ready to shop for fabrics to make it! I am by no means a swimwear expert, but I have sewn a couple of suits and I do a lot of online fabric shopping. It’s best to read the information on your pattern to see what fabrics are recommended and what notions you need to make it.
- Nylon, cotton, lycra (spandex) and poly blends — usually 4-way stretch nylon or lycra blends labeled as swim, active, dance and/or performance fabric
- Swimsuit lining– usually a lightweight 4-way stretch poly blend fabric
- Power mesh– lightweight poly blend stretch fabric)
- Elastic (rubber or cotton)
- Swimsuit hooks (for bands)
- Ballpoint stretch needle
- Bra cups or foam (optional)
- Underwires (optional)
- Boning (optional)
- Rings and sliders for adjustable straps (optional)
Where to buy:
- Chain/local fabric stores
- You can find many of the notions and the fabrics that you need for sewing a swimsuit at stores like JoAnn’s Fabrics. The swimwear fabrics are usually located in the dancewear section and are sometimes limited in colors and prints. You’ll find most of the basic elastics needed for sewing swimwear.
- You can find swimwear fabrics and notions from many sellers.
- Good selection of swimwear fabrics and notions.
- Fabric Fairy
- Large selection of swimwear fabrics, linings and notions.
- Swimwear fabrics, linings and notions.
- Hart’s Fabric
- Good selection of swimwear fabrics.
- Mood Fabrics
- Small selection of colorful swimwear fabric with some elastic.
- Girl Charlee
- A selection of colorful printed swimwear fabrics and linings.
- Spandex World
- Huge selection of fabrics and linings in many colors and prints.
- Michael Levine (Low Price Fabric)
- Good selection of swimsuit fabrics in some hard-to-find prints and notions.
- Funki Fabrics
- Large selection of swimsuit fabrics with colorful prints.
- Good selection of inexpensive swimwear fabrics and notions.
- Imagine Gnats Shop
- Selection of swimsuit and athletic wear fabrics in solids and fun prints.
- Zenith & Quasar Fabric
- A curated collection of swimsuit fabrics.
- Peek-A-Boo Fabric Shop
- A small selection of cheery swimsuit fabric.
- The Emerald Studio
- A selection of swimwear kits with fabric and notions to make a one or two piece suit.
- Wawak Sewing Supply
- Although Wawak does not carry fabrics, they do have an extensive supply of notions that can be used to make swimwear.
- Bra-Makers Supply
- Selection of swimwear notions, including elastics, underwires, foam cups, and hooks.
Do you have any more resources to add?