Just how does the the Curvy Sewing Collective work? We thought we’d take you behind the scenes to find out – and just maybe convince you to take part!
Who is “we”?
The CSC is run by six volunteer editors, who are currently Jenny, Mary, Tanya, Michelle, Meg, and Gillian. (Much love to T, Laurence, Sophie-Lee, and Rosie who have been editors in the past!) We all have our own blogs and full-time careers, so we do this as a labour of love. Here’s what that involves:
- writing posts of our own, or editing those of our amazing volunteer contributors (more on that later!)
- answering comments from our awesome readers
- organising theme months, surveys, giveaways etc
- answering email, updating Instagram, and monitoring the Flickr group
- moderating and offering advice on the Facebook group (now over 6000 strong, and very active daily)
- chipping in our own money for hosting fees every month
- keeping the website running smoothly and efficiently – Thank you, Tanya and Michelle!
All in all, we each spend at least 10-20 hours a month on Curvy Sewing Collective. We hope it’s worth it to have a safe space on the internet for curvy sewists of all sizes to feel valued and represented!
We couldn’t do this alone! (No, literally. We’d burn out and shut it down in a month if it wasn’t for the people who help!)
- people who write reviews, tutorials, or posts like “Sewing For My Curves” or “CSC Sewing Spaces“
- volunteer moderators on the Facebook group
- a team of frequent contributors who also help us organise theme months
All of these volunteers are people who value the community, and want to give back. Some are totally new to sewing, and others are industry professionals, and everything in between. They bring a diversity to our voice, and highlight the perspectives of people of every age, shape, and background. Check out out list of contributors here!
Whether you just read from time to time, only belong to the Facebook group, or are an active commenter, we appreciate you. You set the atmosphere for each other, and make it possible to have a safe space for people to post about their sewing.
Want To Help?
Let’s us know! If there’s a particular type of post you’d like to read, write it! If you have thoughts on a pattern, review it! If you’ve got a skill, write a tutorial about it. Heck, if you have a question or an opinion, write it up and we’ll all chime in! We aren’t professionals, and you don’t have to be either.
If you are interested in contributing, check out our guidelines then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We’d love to have you on the team!
If you can’t commit right now, then just keep doing what you are doing: encouraging each other and supporting this community by being kind online!